Thursday 28 May 2009

Night Thoughts

Random Thought after midnight.
I am food obsessed. I already know this. My wife, after nearly 4 years of marriage, now knows this. I have yet to find a way to block the neural pathways constantly bombarding my central command deck with orders to eat more. What thought has popped into my head worth blogging about? I may have found the answer to the holy grail of my solutions.
I think about food a lot less, and there are fewer “eat more” orders, when I watch lots of TV documentaries that send me into distant lands of abstract thoughts. This also seems to be the case when I am writing, more specifically when I am blogging. Maybe the only way to counter the need to feed more junk into my body is to feed all of the junk within me out into the real world? I may benefit tremendously form this, as will my gut, but I don’t know if the world will be able to take it.
I will ponder this idea as I wander the well manicured exotic gardens at Kew tomorrow morning, no doubt nursing a dream hangover, something I will explain in a later blog entry.
On another note, and one that you may find more interesting, I am off to see David Simon speak at Book Slam tomorrow evening. I am a little nervous that I may bump into him at the bar and suddenly start dribbling and foaming at the mouth whilst my limbs are frozen in awe of his talent and achievements. What could I ask him or say to him if I did meet him? I won’t ask him if he has ready any good books lately or even if he comes here often. I could ask him if he thinks Kingston-Upon-Thames would inspire a series as fascinating and broad as The Wire? He did say once in another lecture that every town has many fascinating stories and he was sick of TV being filled with stories only from LA or New York. I think Kingston has many intriguing stories lurking underneath the well polished facade of Royal Borough status that defies its true multiculturalism and evolving uniqueness. It does have the first Bentall’s for starters. And the largest number of Koreans outside of Korea. South Korea that is. Important distinction to make, especially these days.
Speaking of International issues Kingston also has a large Tamil Population. And the Mosque even has a minaret these days, which must gnaw away at the council estate people living opposite who used to come and spit in the mosque. I can see them running to their nearest BNP candidate, who will tell them that he is not racist, as all the BNP people interviewed on the news yesterday were pointing out, he just hates anyone who doesn’t come from his race, whatever that race really is. The idea does pop into my head of sending a video of the new BBC 2 series, The Human Journey, to BNP headquarters. According to the programme, and the Thesis it is based on, all human beings outside of Africa descended from from one tribe who left East Africa over 70,000 years ago. That means that we are all in fact African by descent. I would be interested to see them watch that. Not that they’re racist. They just hate foreigners.

2 comments:

  1. Kam... for a post about food, that was a lot less food-heavy than I expected. In fact, when you began, I was salivating, with the expectation that the following prose would regale me with a tale of gastronomic bliss, a culinary delight that would have me taking wings, and fluttering across to Atlantic to rabidly attack aforementioned delights. Then. You started talking about balding, sun-burned, racist white men, and lost me. Damn you, you tease you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats my life man! I see sizzling freshly barbequed sheek Kebabs smouldering with aromatic wisps of smoke and though I can breathe in the scent of herbs, onions and spicy meat I cannot stimulate my taste buds because I am on weight watchers, so have to watch what I eat!
    Also the point of my blog is to demonstrate how fragmentaed my mind is, as a mirror to the fact my life is so fragmented and all over the place. One minute I am wandering through relaxing Japanese Zen Gardens in Kew, pushing a buggy and soaking in the rare English sun, the next I am travelling to a tiny little bar in London to hear one of the best TV writers of our generation. I never know where I am and I have to record everything I eat and do!

    ReplyDelete